The distinction recognises the resort’s commitment to the preservation of its environment over the past two decades. Present on five continents, the Green Key certificate is the leading standard for excellence in the field of environmental responsibility and sustainable operations within the tourism industry.
Based on demanding specifications, led by the Foundation for Environmental Education, the Green Key certifies destinations that hold strong values focused on eco-responsible commitments. Reviewed every four years, the distinction supports new and sustainable methods of operation and use of technology in a bid to reduce the overall environmental footprint through lower use of energy, water, and waste.
Under the supervision of the Foundation for Environmental Education internationally and Teragir in France, this initiative guarantees compliance with environmental standards for hotel establishments daily. The criteria allow destinations to reduce their ecological footprint while actively committing to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals set by the UN.
The certification is based on seven main themes:
• Environmental policy
• Environmental awareness
• Water management
• Waste management
• Energy management
• Responsible purchasing
• Living environment
As part of this approach, Terre Blanche:
• Has an environmental charter and an action plan listing its environmental objectives and projects for the coming years.
• Has defined a sustainable purchasing policy through a supplier charter, favouring French products, short circuits and above all “homemade” including its breads and pastries.
• Has established active collaborations with associations and stakeholders in the territory to support local projects for the protection of fauna and flora.
• Has implemented high-performance energy management devices and water flow reducers on all its taps.
• Selectively sorts and recycles all its organic waste by dehydrating it and creating compost that is then used on its 301 hectares.
• Has eliminated plastic from its hospitality products.
• Banned the use of pesticides and chemical fertilisers for the maintenance of its green spaces.
Terre Blanche’s chief executive officer, Marc Delauné says, , ““We feel immense pride in this recognition. Since its inception two decades ago, Terre Blanche Hotel Spa Golf Resort***** has consistently been at the forefront of eco-friendly and environmental preservation initiatives among European resorts. We work tirelessly to bring this identity to the heart of everything we do every day. This award is a testament to the dedication of all our employees and our ongoing commitment to the values we uphold every day.”